Friday, September 3, 2010

Back to School

As the end of August rolled around, we kissed goodbye to summer break and the girls "graduated" to the next grade level.  Honestly I was ready for school to start.  Don't get me wrong, I love summer vacation, but I was ready for routine (except homework) and the hope of slightly cooler weather. 
This year Charlotte moved from to Middle-Pre to to Upper-Pre (she will start Kindergarten in August 2012) and Madison moved to 2nd Grade. 

Upper Pre - Still at the same school, Bug moved up one classroom.  She moved up with a large chunk of her friends, so it was pretty painless.  Most of the kids in her class have been there since infancy so there was no look of terror on Bugs face (or mine) at drop off on the first day.  (Note..... kindergarten will be different.  There is nothing like being thrown into a new school, with unfamiliar teachers and not knowing 95% of your classmates)


  
In Upper Pre, there is a bit more structure as the teachers prepare the kids for what lies ahead in the next few years.  The kids are given more responsibility and are expected to take responsibility for their actions.  The first two weeks in Upper Pre have been uneventful, which is nice.  One of Bug's teachers told me that Charlotte keeps asking them if she is making good choices.  Hopefully the newness won't wear off anytime soon and Upper Pre will continue to go well. 

2nd Grade - Shea has grown so much.  I remember crying two years ago when we dropped her off in her Kindergarten class, the both of us not really knowing what to expect.  I remember sending her to school with that little laminated neck tag with her name, homeroom teacher and student ID number - just in case she was found wandering around the halls of the elementary school.  I remember the difficult adjustment from knowing all the daycare teachers to dropping your child off with strangers. 

This year I was prepared.  I knew what to expect.  Madison knew where the 2nd grade hall was and didn't even want to hold my hand on the way in (at least Charlotte still likes to hold my hand).  She said hi to her old teachers, unpacked her backpack, found her desk and gave Dewayne and I a quick hug.  That was it.  No crying from Madison.  No crying from me.  Wow.  My little girl is growing up (now - I'm crying typing this).  She is growing into such a wonderful person.  Her energy, excitement and spirit are wonderful and I wonder how 2nd grade will make her even more unique! 

Below:  2 years ago (Madison starting Kinder and Bug in Toddler 1)
 Below:  Last year (Madison starting 1st Grade and Bug in Lower Pre)


Below:  August 2010 (Madison starting 2nd Grade and Charlotte in Upper Pre)


Haven't they grown!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment